Hello! Great to see you!
Well it’s surprisingly the end of the year already! Time to start a new year, and hopefully this design we have created this week will give you something enjoyable to do, without taking much time, you could even do this with the kids. use it with HTV or even self adhesive vinyl to personalise almost anything. This file as always, is ideal for HTV and self adhesive applications and you could even use it in card making!
We would love to see what you make! Have you found our You Tube channel yet? The video showing this and all of our other tutorials are available on there, as well as exclusive demos, inspiration and more! Join us on Facebook , Instagram or Tiktok or send us an email to [email protected] we would love to hear from you!
What you’ll need:
- Cricut machine here
- OR. Silhouette Cameo 4. Available here
- Cricut Easypress and Easypress Mat here
- GMCrafts LED light panel here
- GM Glitter HTV here
- Weeding tweezers . Available here
- Squeegee. Available here
- Scissors from your own stash and a plain t-shirt Jumper or tote bag etc of your choice.
- Cut files, which are free below! Including, Cricut, Silhouette and Brother cut files
1. Before you start you will need to download the cut files for your chosen machine, link above. Unzip the file to use it by right clicking it in your downloads.
2. Upload the PNG into the design space. Click “Upload Image” on the left-hand Design Panel, and navigate to the files you want to open. Select ‘Insert image’ and select image type ‘simple’ when prompted. Next you’ll be asked to delete any space that does not get cut, you can skip this part by pressing ‘continue’. When asked if they’re print-then-cut images or just cut images, select cut images. Click save. When it has been uploaded, Insert the image onto the canvas repeat for the other file and resize to suit your project, I have welded these (see below) as I want to cut it from 1 piece of Vinyl- you could use 2 different types or colours if you wish, then click make it to move on to the next screen. On the next screen, If using the Cricut Maker 3 then you will need to choose to cut on the mat (unless using smart media)
3. When on the next screen above, ensure you MIRROR the wording. Click continue in the bottom right on the next screen. In the next window make sure your settings are all set to the successful settings from your test cut and ensure your machine is linked before proceeding to cut. Cut settings: (**please test cut) Press the flashing Cricut symbol on your maker to cut, after loading the sheet into the machine. Apply the settings needed for your chosen Vinyl, we made it with our GM GLITTER HTV on the maker 3, and used the PREMIUM VINYL- FROSTED GLITTER Iron on setting on the Cricut maker 3 with More pressure as our Blade is tired, but if your blade is working as normal please use DEFAULT pressure for your test cut and decide from there.
**A reminder that these settings, including the blade setting, are specific to the materials and machine we’re using, adjustments may be necessary if using different materials and machine**
We always recommend before proceeding, you test cut your materials when first using so if you have not recently used this product in your machine. Please test cut for your chosen machine found on our Application guide, and also Blog. Load the Vinyl chosen individually for each layer.
4. Place the Vinyl on the mat, remember to mirror the wording. Press the up arrow to load the mat, and press the flashing light to proceed to cut on the machine. Once cut repeat to cut with the remaining layer if you are doing as two cuts- we cut as one so did not repeat.
5. Once cut, switch on your LED pad and remove the waste Vinyl surrounding the designs (weeding) I use a pair of weeding tweezers to do this as shown below.
6. Switch your Easy press on, and set the temperature to 160’c and the timer to 15 seconds, (Please note settings are for this when pressing a single layer only and Warm Peel ) For other Vinyl please refer to our Application guide, When Layering it is important to reduce the layering times so not to over heat the vinyl. Glitter needs to be the last layer if layering.
7. Place the easy press Mat under the Hoodie, T-shirt, jumper etc and preheat once the press is ready for 10 seconds to remove any moisture. TOP TIP Fold the Hoodie in half and press to enable you to line up the design when ready to apply if you wish. Once folded, fold the first layer by folding the front (Non sticky side) together, so it lines up perfectly with the Hoodie.
8. I always use my squeegee to rub the transfer once applied to the T-shirt, Jumper etc
9. Lay the design already on the transfer tape in the correct place facing up, and ensure it is on a hard surface, or Cricut Easy press matt and on a hard surface, check our guide here for more information on applying and using HTV successfully. Press each area once only for 15 seconds firmly using your upper body weight over the press, if any areas lift once doing this- repress for a few more seconds- please note from above ensure the collar and seams are off the pressing mat so not to interfere with the pressure needed.
10. Allow the glitter cover sheet to cool slightly for a few seconds to warm peel the cover away. If after removing the sheet the Hoodie, T-shirt, bag etc or design is looking a bit untidy then recover with the App tape you have just removed or a sheet of Silicone Paper or baking parchment and quickly repress smoothing over it like an iron would, but quickly so not to over heat.
Don’t forget your finished design can be matched by using any material cut using a cutting file, card, self adhesive vinyl or even HTV. We’d love to see your makes on our social media pages! Or email them in!
Silhouette Cut File
Before you start, you need to download the cut file, Upload the cut file into Silhouette Studio and resize as necessary, (when resizing bring all layers into the design software and select all at once to get the correct offset layers and save the adjusted file, so you can cut layers individually at that correct scale you have chosen) Remember to test cut if necessary and cut settings are found here along with test cut guidelines for every machine.
Brother Cut File
To import these files into the Brother Canvas Workspace:
After downloading, please log in as usual to your design space account, open a new project mat, then left click on the SVG icon in the top left bar in canvas, this will then allow you to import your files. Once you left click this icon, a pop up box appears with you to choose where to import file from, choose to import the file from your downloads list or where you have chosen to save when unzipped.
Cut settings are found here
Just incase you need the link CanvasWorkspace (brother.com)