Here’s a quick and easy tutorial for a multi layered Christmas card. Of course, this design isn’t limited to cards the top layer would work on any form of project, including using the front card layer as a T-shirt knockout design cutting file with HTV, just adapt the process to the medium you plan to use it on and be sure to check our application guides as appropriate.
Get crafting this fun design for loved ones, friends, and family. You could even do a matching Glass, Card, T-shirt and Gift bag with the design to really impress your friends or family! This Tutorial is also suited for the Silhouette Cameo and portrait range, Cricut Maker, Explore and Air 2 and if resized for the Joy, and also Brother scan n cut, Plus other Plotters. Please see further down for the free files, and for Silhouette and Brother machines instructions after the tutorial. Please bare in mind the cut and mat settings will need to be adjusted as appropriate for the machine – see our settings guide here
We would love to see what you make! Have you found our You Tube channel yet? The video showing this and all of our other tutorials are available on there, as well as exclusive demos, inspiration and more! Join us on Facebook , Instagram or Tiktok or send us an email to [email protected] we would love to hear from you!
What you’ll need:
- Cricut machine Available Here Or Silhouette Cameo 4. Available Here
- A4 Solid Core card. Available Here
- A4 Satin Gloss Card . Available Here
- A4 Satin Card. Available Here
- A4 Pack or roll of Transfer Adhesive Available Here
- Application Tape Available Here
- Squeegee. Available Here
- GMCrafts LED light (weeding) panel. Available here
- Weeding tweezers . Available Here
- Scissors, and Gems from your own stash
- Cut files, which are free below! Including, Cricut, Silhouette and Brother cut files.
1. Before you start you will need to download the cut files for your chosen machine, link above. Unzip the file to use it by right clicking it in your downloads.
2. Upload each PNG into the design space. Click “Upload Image” on the left-hand Design Panel, and navigate to the files you want to open. Select ‘Insert image’ and select image type ‘simple’ when prompted. Next you’ll be asked to delete any space that does not get cut, you can skip this part by pressing ‘continue’. When asked if they’re print-then-cut images or just cut images, select cut images. Click save. When it has been uploaded, Insert the images onto the canvas and resize to suit your project, I Recolour each one differently, so I can cut the different Card, Vinyl etc for each layer, which means I don’t have to keep returning to the design page, see below, I Weld the Santa and trees image in place so that it cuts from one piece. then click make it to move on to the next screen. On the next screen, If using the Cricut Maker 3 then you will need to choose to cut on the mat (unless using smart media)
3. Click continue in the bottom right on the next screen. In the next window make sure your settings are all set to the successful settings from your test cut and ensure your machine is linked before proceeding to cut. Cut settings: (**please test cut) Press the flashing Cricut symbol on your maker to cut, after loading the sheet into the machine. Apply the settings needed for your chosen Card or Vinyl, we made it with our GM Solid core card and Satin card on the maker 3, and used the Heavy Card stock on setting on the Cricut maker 3 with More pressure. When cutting the transfer Glitter Self adhesive please use Premium Vinyl- Frosted Glitter with More.
**A reminder that these settings, including the blade setting, are specific to the materials and machine we’re using, adjustments may be necessary if using different materials and machine**
We always recommend before proceeding, you test cut your materials when first using so if you have not recently used this product in your machine. Please test cut for your chosen machine found on our Application guide, and also Blog. Load the Vinyl chosen individually for each layer.
4. Place the Card for the First layer you are cutting on the mat. Press the up arrow to load the mat, and press the flashing light to proceed to cut on the machine. Repeat this step for all the next Card layers.
5. Once cut repeat with the remaining Christmas Scene layer From the Glitter Self Adhesive Vinyl.
6. Once cut remove from the mat, cut the sheet with scissors to prepare to weed. Once weeded. Take your transfer tape and lay it with the sticky side facing up on the table. Place it onto the sticky side face down, before trimming the application tape from the roll to fit. Take your squeegee and rub the back of the vinyl hard to transfer it onto the application tape. Lift the backing paper back upon itself ready to apply. See Below.
7. Layer the Glitter Self adhesive on top of the Satin Card Top layer, Rub with the squeegee once placed correctly to transfer and then remove the Application tape backward s upon itself.
8. Fold the card base in half, and use your squeegee to burnish to folded crease to form the card.
9. Take a sheet of the transfer adhesive, and this time use it with the white sheet facing up, fold it back on its self to reveal the adhesive layer underneath as shown below and place the Top Green card layer from above onto it ready to apply to the Middle White card layer. See below. You can place the white sheet back over and rub should you wish.
10. Then take this new layer and again place it on the adhesive ready to glue to the Green layer under, sticking to the front of the folded card face
11. Either use self adhesive gems or Take your flat back Gems or embellishments and once again apply to the transfer adhesive sheet to stick them to the front ( and inside) of the card
Don’t forget your finished design can be matched by using any material cut using a cutting file, card, self adhesive vinyl or even HTV. We’d love to see your makes on our social media pages! Or email them in!
Silhouette Cut File
Before you start, you need to download the cut file, Upload the cut file into Silhouette Studio and resize as necessary, (when resizing bring all layers into the design software and select all at once to get the correct offset layers and save the adjusted file, so you can cut layers individually at that correct scale you have chosen) Remember to test cut if necessary and cut settings are found here along with test cut guidelines for every machine.
Brother Cut File
To import these files into the Brother Canvas Workspace:
After downloading, please log in as usual to your design space account, open a new project mat, then left click on the SVG icon in the top left bar in canvas, this will then allow you to import your files. Once you left click this icon, a pop up box appears with you to choose where to import file from, choose to import the file from your downloads list or where you have chosen to save when unzipped.
Cut settings are found here
Just incase you need the link CanvasWorkspace (brother.com)